Eternacon/2017/Committee Meeting Chat Logs/7-26-2017

From EteRNA WiKi
Jump to: navigation, search

LFP6: Hey all! I'd like to get started with the first Eternacon organization meeting momentarily [8:02 PM]

Astromon: Hey [8:02 PM]

LFP6: Just need to pull stuff up on my computer [8:04 PM]

Astromon: okaY (: [8:06 PM]

AndrewKae: Hi LFP6 and Astromon [8:09 PM]

Astromon: Hi Andrew [8:10 PM]

LFP6: Alright [8:12 PM]

LFP6: Sorry about that guys [8:12 PM]

LFP6: So, we're officially launching the planning process for Eternacon 2017 [8:13 PM]

Astromon: np lfp6 [8:13 PM]

Astromon: yay [8:13 PM]

LFP6: We've already gotten 7 responses on the form, which is cool [8:13 PM]

Astromon: nice [8:14 PM]

LFP6: 3 of which indivated they could probably attend [8:14 PM]

LFP6: in person [8:14 PM]

Astromon: sweet [8:14 PM]

LFP6: Couple of different initial session ideas, particuarly software focused [8:15 PM]

LFP6: And a lot of willingness to help organize [8:15 PM]

Astromon: ok [8:16 PM]

LFP6: I'm thinking I'll start sending out Slack invites soon, and the Wiki definitely needs to be updated [8:18 PM]

Astromon: sounds good [8:18 PM]

Astromon: cyn wants an invite [8:18 PM]

Astromon: are you making a new channel [8:19 PM]

LFP6: With help from Jen and Lroppy, I've started putting together a planning document and task completion spreadsheet to help keep us organized, make sure we know what needs to get done, and to consolidate info so that it's we can be more efficient [8:19 PM]

LFP6: I'll use the same Slack team as last year [8:19 PM]

LFP6: I should ask Jennifer for admin rights to it, so that I can invite people [8:19 PM]

Astromon: sounds great [8:20 PM]

LFP6: Wait, actually I can already invite people [8:20 PM]

Astromon: oH good [8:21 PM]

LFP6: Cyn hasn't submitted anything on the form - are you referring to the Eternacon Slack, or the player development one? [8:21 PM]

Astromon: hmm um maybe both [8:21 PM]

LFP6: I'll have to check with him [8:22 PM]

LFP6: Andrew, you should have an invite sitting in your inbox [8:22 PM]

AndrewKae: Ok, thanks, I'll check it out [8:23 PM]

LFP6: Here's a link to the Eternacon organization mega-folder: https://goo.gl/QiP2e9 [8:24 PM]

LFP6: I'll adjust the permissions so that everyone can comment on stuff [8:24 PM]

LFP6: All right, got that set [8:26 PM]

Astromon: hmm it wants my email and pw [8:26 PM]

Astromon: i dont quite rem [8:26 PM]

lroppy: hello [8:27 PM]

lroppy: now in silicon valley [8:27 PM]

Astromon: Hi Lro [8:27 PM]

LFP6: Hey Lroppy! [8:27 PM]

lroppy: 1st hotel had burst pipes [8:27 PM]

LFP6: Ouch [8:27 PM]

lroppy: cancelled our rooms [8:27 PM]

lroppy: we got relocated [8:27 PM]

lroppy: as hotel refugees [8:27 PM]

LFP6: Btw, we're having the first official Eternacon planning meeting if you didn't catch that [8:27 PM]

Astromon: haha [8:28 PM]

lroppy: finally have place to stay [8:28 PM]

AndrewKae: hi lroppy [8:28 PM]

lroppy: I did [8:28 PM]

lroppy: I have 10 mins [8:28 PM]

lroppy: hadn't counted on joining at all [8:28 PM]

LFP6: Rhiju put up the news post this morning [8:28 PM]

lroppy: so what has been decided [8:28 PM]

LFP6: Looks like we have some additional help, there were a few people who said they'd be able to jump in [8:28 PM]

LFP6: I've just sent out Slack invites [8:29 PM]

lroppy: hurray [8:29 PM]

lroppy: are we any closer to date or format? [8:29 PM]

LFP6: I think we're done with the email-only phase, we should probably keep as much on Slack or in these chats as possible [8:29 PM]

LFP6: Dates are pretty open on the responses so far. Later September and October doesn't work so well for me though [8:30 PM]

lroppy: email is no way to work [8:30 PM]

LFP6: Marching band shows o/ [8:30 PM]

LFP6: Yeah [8:30 PM]

lroppy: my trip here is locked for labor day weekend [8:30 PM]

lroppy: that is not a request to put it there [8:31 PM]

lroppy: my point is that if it is right after [8:31 PM]

lroppy: and I cannot attend [8:31 PM]

lroppy: it would be sad [8:31 PM]

lroppy: boo hoo [8:31 PM]

lroppy: anyway [8:31 PM]

lroppy: so no dates yet [8:31 PM]

lroppy: any other decisions [8:31 PM]

Astromon: ok i joined the eternacon slack< [8:32 PM]

LFP6: lroppy: Not yet. [8:33 PM]

lroppy: any topic under discussion here [8:33 PM]

lroppy: outside of my hotel room? [8:33 PM]

LFP6: Oh, I should probably summarize the big picture [8:33 PM]

Astromon: just setting up slack and invites so far [8:34 PM]

lroppy: hmmm [8:34 PM]

lroppy: ok [8:34 PM]

lroppy: do we have a designated player @ Stanford [8:34 PM]

LFP6: For those that don't know, Rhiju was able to secure a bit of funding this year to get people out to Stanford, between Gates' support in relation to OpenTB and the upcoming CRISPR launch [8:34 PM]

lroppy: sounds great [8:35 PM]

AndrewKae: the Gates? [8:35 PM]

lroppy: not sure that is public yet [8:35 PM]

lroppy: , LFP [8:35 PM]

LFP6: We're obviously getting started a bit late this year, so we need to be efficient. The big things will be nailing down a date, getting everything reserved, and make sure we actually have people running sessions [8:35 PM]

LFP6: lroppy: iirc Rhiju made an offhand reference to that [8:36 PM]

LFP6: Not for Eternacon specifically [8:36 PM]

lroppy: suggest we check on that b4 we spill any confidential stuff [8:36 PM]

LFP6: In a dev chat he had mentioned that the Gates foundations was going to be providing some funding in relation to OpenTB [8:37 PM]

LFP6: I do remember that [8:37 PM]

lroppy: so he spilled the beans [8:37 PM]

lroppy: ok [8:37 PM]

lroppy: Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation [8:37 PM]

AndrewKae: makes sense Gates foundation would want to support that [8:37 PM]

Astromon: nice [8:37 PM]

lroppy: indeed (quoting Brourd) [8:38 PM]

LFP6: I think with this being our third year and the additional organization I've started up, we should be able to move quite a bit quicker [8:39 PM]

lroppy: hmmm [8:39 PM]

LFP6: But we need to keep on top of things [8:39 PM]

lroppy: I am supposed to say yay [8:39 PM]

lroppy: but I'm not sure there are real gains from past experience [8:39 PM]

Astromon: we have a template [8:40 PM]

lroppy: tell people not to put copyrighted stuff (e.g music) into their presentations [8:40 PM]

LFP6: :) [8:40 PM]

lroppy: templates = good [8:40 PM]

lroppy: I had to edit them out in 2015 [8:41 PM]

lroppy: painful [8:41 PM]

LFP6: As far as a Stanford contact, Rhiju said it might be Johan, but he's been the last week or so, and anything that we need done until then should go directly through Rhiju [8:41 PM]

lroppy: ok [8:41 PM]

LFP6: Ie, he was the one that posted the news article [8:41 PM]

lroppy: kk [8:41 PM]

lroppy: need to run to softball game [8:41 PM]

Astromon: is caleb involved any [8:41 PM]

lroppy: see folks later or next week [8:41 PM]

Astromon: seeya Lro have a great week [8:42 PM]

AndrewKae: l8tr [8:42 PM]

lroppy: danke schein [8:42 PM]

LFP6: Caleb has not been involved at this point. I may see if he can provide some additional information as far as stuff from last year [8:43 PM]

LFP6: Just to keep our documentation good [8:43 PM]

Astromon: ok [8:43 PM]

LFP6: Couple other things we should probably start to think about [8:44 PM]

LFP6: Ideas for sessions, even if you may not be able to directly contribute [8:44 PM]

LFP6: Or give a little nudge to someone who can [8:44 PM]

LFP6: Also, assuming we want a theme again, what should it be? [8:44 PM]

LFP6: I imagine it will have something to do with CRISPR and the impending need to revamp the software infrastructure [8:45 PM]

Astromon: same theme should be good [8:45 PM]

Astromon: oH good idea [8:46 PM]

LFP6: Well, I wouldn't suggest using the same theme as last year [8:46 PM]

LFP6: It should really be specific to the current times [8:46 PM]

Astromon: ok [8:47 PM]

Astromon: since tb is funding it might be good to have a tb/crispr theme [8:47 PM]

Astromon: both with the theme soehow [8:47 PM]

LFP6: To some degree I imagine we'll have to pick the brains of the Stanford team, Rhiju specifically [8:48 PM]

AndrewKae: The Evolution of eteRNA [8:49 PM]

LFP6: I like that [8:49 PM]

LFP6: Fits both CRISPR and platform stuff well [8:49 PM]

Astromon: somethink like citizen scienrists laying the foundation to help with TB and Criipr as a great tool to do so [8:49 PM]

LFP6: And tails on the inventing medicine from last year decently [8:50 PM]

AndrewKae: its hard for me to say much, as I am not privy to most of what I expect will be coming out at eternacon [8:50 PM]

Astromon: i like that too< [8:51 PM]

AndrewKae: brb [8:52 PM]

Astromon: ill brainstorm some presenting ideas and have a list for next weeks chat< [8:52 PM]

LFP6: Cool [8:52 PM]

LFP6: I imagine we'll probably see people from the lab talking both about OpenTB progress and the upcoming CRISPR [8:53 PM]

Astromon: that would be great [8:54 PM]

Astromon: i wonder if the next labs will come out before the event [8:55 PM]

LFP6: I think the idea is for Eternacon to be the "Launch" [8:56 PM]

Astromon: wow that wil be good for excitment for eternacon17 [8:56 PM]

LFP6: Hoping we can also get someone from any of our sponsors to do a little presentation [8:56 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: hi [8:57 PM]

Astromon: someone could present the next labs! [8:57 PM]

Astromon: Hey jen! [8:57 PM]

AndrewKae: Hi Jennifer [8:57 PM]

LFP6: Hey Jen! [8:57 PM]

Astromon: id say the sponcers would like that [8:57 PM]

LFP6: Jennifer - I can pastebin the chat up to now if you want [8:58 PM]

LFP6: So that you can chime in on anything [8:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: that would be cool [8:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i will read over it real quick [8:58 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: sorry for being late [8:58 PM]

LFP6: https://pastebin.com/z7WYEzZn [8:58 PM]

LFP6: That's alright! [8:59 PM]

Astromon: :D [8:59 PM]

LFP6: We're also up to 8 responses now :P [9:01 PM]

LFP6: On the form [9:01 PM]

Astromon: nicE [9:01 PM]

LFP6: Btw Jen, also sent you a PM in Slack for once you have a couple mins [9:02 PM]

Astromon: make sure to give yulan an invite to slack I think they would like to be involved [9:02 PM]

LFP6: Already did [9:02 PM]

LFP6: Anyone who was interested in organizing and provided an email was Invited [9:03 PM]

Astromon: oH okay [9:03 PM]

Astromon: i wonder will there be more tb labs [9:06 PM]

LFP6: Good question - I'm interested to here what the status is of the research [9:06 PM]

Astromon: since thier involvment at EC17 [9:06 PM]

LFP6: *hear [9:06 PM]

Astromon: me too<<< [9:07 PM]

Astromon: I hope our work in the TB lab somehow has helped to develope that home test [9:08 PM]

Astromon: i mean id like to know [9:08 PM]

Astromon: or if it helped with the study of it whatever [9:09 PM]

LFP6: Yeah [9:09 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: so just finished reading the transcript [9:09 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: dot really have any comments right now on theme but I like the idea of having it build on last year a little [9:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: but with tnew stuff [9:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: im not to familirat with what we are doing with CRIPSR but im excited [9:11 PM]

Astromon: its so cool jen [9:11 PM]

LFP6: We haven't gotten any details yet [9:11 PM]

LFP6: Just that we're going to be working with it [9:11 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: from experience it will take awhile to pin down people to speak [9:12 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: we should nail down topics now so that we can fond speakers [9:13 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: that is something we cant just rush [9:13 PM]

Astromon: heres link to crispr stuff jen>> https://getsatisfaction.com/eternagame/topics/fun_rna_and_dna_science?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=18793926#reply_18793926 [9:13 PM]

Astromon: i agree [9:13 PM]

Astromon: pin em down! haha sounds like a chess move [9:14 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: should probabily be the topic of next chat [9:14 PM]

Astromon: no doubt [9:15 PM]

LFP6: As I mentioned before, hoping we can get a couple sessions about TB and CRISPR from the lab [9:15 PM]

LFP6: But we will probably want a few more sessions [9:15 PM]

AndrewKae: I see alot of concern about ethics, maybe a topic [9:16 PM]

Astromon: Masterstormer doing one on his scripting challenges was an idea I had [9:16 PM]

LFP6: Per the form responses, I'm looking at doing something on OSS projects, Master wants to do something Software, and Omei is looking to do something software/community oriented [9:16 PM]

Astromon: id also like to hear a pres about play-development and what it has been able to accomplish [9:17 PM]

LFP6: Nothing entirely surprising [9:17 PM]

LFP6: Andrew: Good thought. Talked to someone about CRISPR a week or two ago and they brought that up [9:17 PM]

Astromon: with the chat [9:17 PM]

LFP6: Yea, that's probably my area [9:17 PM]

LFP6: (@Astro) [9:17 PM]

Astromon: yes indeed [9:18 PM]

Astromon: nice idea andrew [9:18 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: ethics is not something we have had a session on yet. that would be good [9:19 PM]

Astromon: for some reason to me it seems elves would present the ethics thing well or jen maybe [9:19 PM]

AndrewKae: maybe an ethicist [9:20 PM]

LFP6: Seems like Elves' kind of thing, not sure if it's something she'd want to present on. Could ask. [9:20 PM]

LFP6: Agreed Andrew [9:20 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: good idea LFP6 [9:21 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: i agree Elves would be a great pcik [9:21 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: are there any ideas for a secondary person [9:23 PM]

LFP6: We could see f there are any university contacts [9:24 PM]

AndrewKae: brb [9:26 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: maybe get a univeristy laywer or ethics officer if they are willing [9:26 PM]

Astromon: send an invite to 10 of the best bio departmants in the world [9:26 PM]

Astromon: a general made invite to test interest [9:27 PM]

Astromon: thats a great idea jen [9:27 PM]

Astromon: it would be interesting to see the view from both a lawyer and ethics officer [9:28 PM]

LFP6: Yeah [9:29 PM]

Astromon: is the same catering place going to be used [9:35 PM]

LFP6: Probably. I believe it's handled through Stanford [9:35 PM]

Astromon: just didto some of the things that worked out well last years [9:36 PM]

LFP6: That's my thought [9:36 PM]

LFP6: I will be interested to see what response we get to the survey over the next week or so [9:37 PM]

Astromon: yeah [9:37 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: me too [9:39 PM]

AndrewKae: quick search, there's this http://med.stanford.edu/bioethics/about.html [9:39 PM]

LFP6: Nice catch [9:40 PM]

Astromon: great link andrew tnx [9:40 PM]

AndrewKae: ethicists like to talk I hear [9:41 PM]

LFP6: Wonder if Rhiju has contacts [9:41 PM]

Astromon: id imagine he does [9:43 PM]

AndrewKae: it would be worth asking him, I think there are some that need some reassurance, CRISPR is going forward with or without us, already talk of it being the new target of hackers [9:45 PM]

Astromon: oh hackers trying to stop it? [9:46 PM]

AndrewKae: no, hacking the germ line [9:46 PM]

cynwulf28: ;-j [9:46 PM]

Astromon: what would hacking agerm line do [9:47 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: would be cool if we could get someone from that place [9:47 PM]

cynwulf28: I was actually working on ways to design genetic firewalls in advance of genetic hacking as of 2013 on account of all of this [9:47 PM]

cynwulf28: hello btw [9:47 PM]

Astromon: oh cool cyn [9:47 PM]

Astromon: Hi cyn! [9:47 PM]

cynwulf28: CRISPR/cas9 is a funky system [9:48 PM]

cynwulf28: but most of biology is [9:48 PM]

AndrewKae: hi cynwulf [9:48 PM]

cynwulf28: hello all [9:48 PM]

LFP6: Hey Cyn. Astro mentioned you wanted in on Slack. Was it the player dev one, or the Eternacon planning one? [9:48 PM]

cynwulf28: all [9:48 PM]

cynwulf28: never knew it existed [9:49 PM]

cynwulf28: and never heard of Slack until this afternoon [9:49 PM]

LFP6: As in both? [9:49 PM]

cynwulf28: yes [9:49 PM]

LFP6: Btw, you seen the survey yet? [9:49 PM]

Astromon: a formal invite to both things would be cool in everyones newsfeed [9:49 PM]

cynwulf28: yes, I didn't do it yet though as I wanted to make sure I had enough time to give it my full attention [9:49 PM]

Astromon: like an anousment [9:49 PM]

Astromon: c* [9:50 PM]

cynwulf28: probably going to do it in a few min, just got out of work [9:50 PM]

LFP6: Send me your email or include it in the form, and I'll send the invites [9:50 PM]

cynwulf28: my name @gmail.com [9:50 PM]

LFP6: Astro: I was planning on doing that before for the palyer dev one, but I've just been too busy - it was supposed to happen along with the blog post Rhiju wanted me to write, but that didn't happen [9:51 PM]

cynwulf28: there's much to be done all around :-) [9:52 PM]

Astromon: cool [9:52 PM]

Astromon: this chat will be posted so that everyone can refer to links and read the ful chat [9:53 PM]

Astromon: it looks like we have alot of support this year! [9:54 PM]

cynwulf28: nice, because my log only goes back 30 min here [9:54 PM]

cynwulf28: In regards to questioin 2 of the survey....is the Location for the venue to be the University or a site near it? [9:55 PM]

Astromon: good question [9:57 PM]

Astromon: it was at the sire last year [9:57 PM]

Astromon: site [9:57 PM]

LFP6: It's been on campus [9:57 PM]

cynwulf28: thought so. That would be a rather long walk for me [9:58 PM]

cynwulf28: but I was a digital attendee last year [9:58 PM]

Astromon: there is funding for trabvel this year [9:59 PM]

cynwulf28: lol [9:59 PM]

Astromon: ie TB people [9:59 PM]

cynwulf28: I wouldn't know what to do with that [9:59 PM]

cynwulf28: I've never travelled off the coast [10:00 PM]

cynwulf28: East that is' [10:00 PM]

cynwulf28: Even the Appalacian Mountains are a strange and distant land to me [10:00 PM]

Astromon: the grass is greener on the other side [10:00 PM]

AndrewKae: @Astromon " We have significantly more funding than last year so if you are worried about being able to afford travel, please let us know." [10:00 PM]

cynwulf28: Always wanted to go to Cali [10:00 PM]

cynwulf28: ty AndrewKae [10:00 PM]

AndrewKae: not me, from the post today [10:01 PM]

Astromon: going bk to caly stylin profilin :-j [10:01 PM]

AndrewKae: :) [10:01 PM]

LFP6: Cyn: First time on a plane for me was Eternacon 15 :) [10:01 PM]

cynwulf28: My first time was a pre-arranged flight home from Florida to New England in 2013. I don't count the flight of a similar nature that I took when I was only 18 months old [10:03 PM]

cynwulf28: Once the schoolyear starts I won't be going anywhere though. [10:04 PM]

Astromon: the take off is the funnest part [10:05 PM]

AndrewKae: brb [10:05 PM]

cynwulf28: I recall a moment when I suddenly realized I was going much MUCH faster than I had ever gone before in my life. [10:05 PM]

Astromon: so it needs to be in august [10:05 PM]

cynwulf28: 100% if I were to travel, and VERY preferable for me (as digital attendee) due to school and work [10:06 PM]

cynwulf28: I work every other weekend [10:06 PM]

cynwulf28: and my sister is getting married in October [10:07 PM]

cynwulf28: busy year for me [10:07 PM]

Astromon: you work everyother weekend and some wenesdays? [10:07 PM]

Astromon: grats to sis [10:08 PM]

LFP6: Ok, I need to head off soon. Any last thoughts anyone? [10:10 PM]

cynwulf28: Random block scheduling during weekdays [10:10 PM]

cynwulf28: What is agenda for conference [10:10 PM]

cynwulf28: where can it be found [10:10 PM]

LFP6: Not determined yet [10:10 PM]

cynwulf28: ah [10:10 PM]

Jennifer Pearl: see you next week [10:11 PM]

LFP6: Partially dependent on those who want to do a session, ie on the form [10:11 PM]

LFP6: We'll also want to talk to the folks in the lab to see what they want to do [10:11 PM]

LFP6: I'll be sure to post a chat log - lots of great discussion! [10:11 PM]

cynwulf28: the wording makes it seem optional at first, then demands specifics btw [10:11 PM]

cynwulf28: I'm a good sport though [10:11 PM]

cynwulf28: I'll just select everything [10:12 PM]

LFP6: Good point, yea. Might make some slight adjustments there [10:12 PM]

Astromon: seeyou next week Jen! [10:13 PM]

cynwulf28: til then :-) [10:13 PM]

Sgtbird08: Evening everyone [10:13 PM]

LFP6: All right, later all! [10:13 PM]

Personal tools
Main page
Introduction to the Game