2016.01.08 Community Chat

From EteRNA WiKi
Jump to: navigation, search

( Link back to Dev Chat archive )


On Sublab Progress Color Indicators, Script for Submitting Designs Status, Lab Spreadsheets Fix for Player Names, Counting Sublab Submission Slots, Managing News / Blog Feed, & Redesign of Home Page As Dashboard

Astromon: Happy friday!  [11:53 AM]

Elves: happy friday!  [11:53 AM]

Elves: and happy new year :D  [11:53 AM]

Astromon: you too Elves and hello!  [11:55 AM]

Elves: thanks! and hello astro!  [11:56 AM]

Astromon: I have asugestion for when things slow down here<<  [11:56 AM]

Elves: yes?  [11:57 AM]

Astromon: well i heard malcolm say it would be nice if the sublabs whent from green to another color once complyted  [11:57 AM]

Astromon: that would help  [11:58 AM]

Astromon: if it wouldnt be too hard to change<>  [11:58 AM]

Elves: the thumbnails?  [11:58 AM]

Astromon: yeaH  [11:59 AM]

Astromon: him like me keeps forgetting which  one we are on haha [11:59 AM]

Astromon: all those names kind of runs together after a while hehehe [11:59 AM]

LFP6: Eeey everyone! [11:59 AM]

Astromon: hi Lfp6 [12:00 AM]

LFP6: How would you define "done" though? [12:00 AM]

Astromon: slots filled<> [12:00 AM]

LFP6: Lots of slots though [12:00 AM]

LFP6: Maybe have a little progress bar [12:00 AM]

Astromon: yeah [12:01 AM]

LFP6: IE 450/600 are filled [12:01 AM]

Elves: that is a good point and great visual idea, lfp6 is right about defining done also [12:01 AM]

Astromon: i meN MY PERSONAL SLOTS [12:01 AM]

Astromon: 20 [12:01 AM]

LFP6: If it's a progress bar, it gives more info and allows you to define whether it means all done, 1 done, etc [12:01 AM]

Elves: we could have one color meaning unopened, another meaning opened at all even without progress on design, and another meaning something was submitted [12:02 AM]

LFP6: Maybe define your own goal, with a little tic mark on the bar for it [12:02 AM]

Astromon: sure progress bar sounds great! [12:02 AM]

Elves: same could be said of vote button too [12:02 AM]

LFP6: Yes [12:02 AM]

Elves: but of course this is more involved coding wise, so will take longer to implement [12:02 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: hey im able to drop in for just a second and then I need to run [12:02 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: how are you all [12:02 AM]

LFP6: So, unopened -> empty progress bar  -> some progress -> new color bar for ast goal -> all slots filled [12:02 AM]

Astromon: hi jen<> [12:02 AM]

LFP6: Hey Jen [12:02 AM]

LFP6: *past goal [12:02 AM]

Elves: would it be sufficient for a first step to change the color when the lab has simply been opened and had any mods or submissions? [12:03 AM]

Elves: hi Jen!! :) [12:03 AM]

Elves: good, hope you are enjoying the new year! [12:03 AM]

LFP6: Maybe unopened, opened, and filled as a start [12:03 AM]

macclark52: Hi, everybody.  [12:04 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: @LFP6 sorry to interupt the conversaton but hows the script for submitting designs going? Sara is radyish now but I want to add some more code so the submission time frame will be tight nad the submission script woul dbe very helpful. [12:04 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: readyish [12:04 AM]

Elves: hi mac :) [12:04 AM]

Astromon: hi mac [12:04 AM]

LFP6: @Jen It's partially done, but I can skip worrying about some parts and just have core functionality, the update later [12:04 AM]

LFP6: Eventually I want to ave an interface for displaying errors, progress, etc [12:04 AM]

LFP6: But if time's an issue, I can leave that to rev 1 [12:05 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: the core functionality is most important since teh deadline is so close [12:05 AM]

LFP6: I'll get working then [12:05 AM]

Astromon: sometimes i can get the chat to scroll with my miuddle mouse in chat but not sure the trick to do it sometimes [12:05 AM]

Elves: astro is it related to whether the window is selected? [12:05 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: if you can have it done tonight or tomorrow nigh ready for use in teh morning that would be great [12:06 AM]

LFP6: If you have your mouse @Astro over, scrollwheel should just work [12:05 AM]

Astromon: dunno i try everything [12:06 AM]

LFP6: @Jen I'll give it a shot [12:06 AM]

Astromon: its intermitten [12:06 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: cool shot me a PM when its done. dont want to rush you I understnd it will be done when it is done [12:06 AM]

Astromon: get er done haha [12:07 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: bye all have a good chat [12:07 AM]

Astromon: seeya jen [12:07 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: Nice to see you Elves!!!!! [12:07 AM]

Elves: bye Jen have a good day! [12:07 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: Happy New Year!!!!! [12:07 AM]

Elves: you too ! :) thanks for hosting last chats :D [12:08 AM]

Elves: Happy New Year! :D :D :D [12:08 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: It was fun and it was a great croud I think some good stuff came out of those chats [12:08 AM]

Elves: awesome [12:08 AM]

Astromon: i need to read them i couldnt make them<< [12:09 AM]

Elves: i'll post transcripts today, i was also afk [12:09 AM]

Astromon: cooL [12:09 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: oh yeah just a word if there is an issue that you wan to have tracked let me know. I will go over the chat log later to see what was discuseed that I will be adding to the soon to be in full use wiki thing for tracking issues [12:09 AM]

Elves: nice! thanks very much [12:10 AM]

Elves: maybe we can use hashtags in chat too, like #bug #feature [12:10 AM]

Elves: then we can search wiki globally for that in chat transcripts [12:10 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: I like that [12:11 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: I can search the transcript for # whatever [12:11 AM]

Elves: exactomundo [12:11 AM]

Astromon: I would like to thank the devs for doing a wonderful job on making the test spreadsheets easy to read! it was a suggestion in a dev chat that was takien care of and I apprreciate that! [12:11 AM]

Elves: oh cool! i'm really happy to hear that it was both taken care of and appreciated astro, thanks for mentioning [12:11 AM]

Elves: is that the thing where player names were missing? [12:12 AM]

Astromon: yeaH [12:12 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: if you have an issue worth tracking then add a hashtag to the caht. Make sure you understand that not every issue can be tracked [12:12 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: on that note I must run again [12:12 AM]

Elves: ahh yeah that is really helpful i'm glad it is fixed! [12:12 AM]

Elves: thank you Jen!! [12:12 AM]

Elves: have a beautiful weekend! [12:13 AM]

Astromon: have a great day jen seeyas! [12:12 AM]

Elves: so on that note, sounds like we'd like a #feature for changing the color of the sublab thumbnail buttons when accessed, modded, submitted, and slots filled? [12:15 AM]

Jennifer Pearl: on unemployment it is one big long good week [12:15 AM]

Astromon: sounds rt elves or like a progress bar [12:16 AM]

Astromon: thats great jen gl with finding a great job! [12:16 AM]

Elves: hope you have a good big long week Jen, sorry about your job and wishing you a far better one! [12:16 AM]

Elves: so for slots is that something limited by sublabs though? i thought slots were global but maybe i misunderstand [12:17 AM]

LFP6: I'm open to posting forum topics too [12:17 AM]

LFP6: I think they're sublabs [12:17 AM]

Elves: i think i have seen labs with a certain number of slots per sublab but i don't see where it says that [12:17 AM]

Astromon: we all have so many slots [12:17 AM]

johana: Hello everyone [12:17 AM]

Elves: hi Johan!! :D [12:18 AM]

LFP6: I don't see where the limits are period [12:18 AM]

Astromon: its tyells you upper left in the design screen [12:18 AM]

Elves: @LFP6 I think we should post forum posts simultaneous to mentioning the #feature or #bug in chat [12:18 AM]

Elves: since that is where people can continue refining the request and adding context [12:18 AM]

Astromon: how many slots and votes you have left to do [12:18 AM]

Astromon: hi johan [12:19 AM]

Elves: astro can you pretty please share a screenshot, i'm still not seeing it. i see what i am guessing is the 400 or so total slots per sublab in the thumbnail [12:20 AM]

Astromon: sure [12:20 AM]

LFP6: I see it now... Trying to see if I can find where it's pulled from [12:21 AM]

Elves: thanks LFP6! [12:21 AM]

Astromon: http://prntscr.com/9nocby [12:21 AM]

Elves: thank you Astro!! i was looking in the molecule design page, not vote page lol [12:22 AM]

Astromon: it says i have 20 left but i dont hahaha [12:22 AM]

Elves: hmm [12:22 AM]

Astromon: oH what page is rthat? [12:22 AM]

Astromon: got a link to it? [12:22 AM]

Elves: when you click design from thumbnail, and see the RNA strand [12:23 AM]

Elves: http://www.eternagame.org/game/puzzle/6369183/ [12:23 AM]

Astromon: oH i c [12:23 AM]

LFP6: Ok, I think I found where it is [12:24 AM]

Elves: so each person can submit up to 40 designs per sublab, and the total number of designs that will be synthesized is capped at 400 per sublab? [12:24 AM]

LFP6: It does appear to be per sublab [12:24 AM]

LFP6: Bingo [12:24 AM]

Astromon: opps it just let me mod my design [12:24 AM]

Elves: so if more than 10 people fill all their slots per sublab, then voting becomes relevant [12:25 AM]

LFP6: Mmhmm [12:25 AM]

Astromon: i guess they gave us 20 more to do each [12:25 AM]

Elves: ohh [12:25 AM]

Astromon: hmm glad i know that now haha [12:25 AM]

Elves: http://prntscr.com/9noeoo [12:26 AM]

Elves: so that is the total number slots per sublab on the thumbnail [12:26 AM]

LFP6: Yep [12:26 AM]

Elves: and i guess the way to know how many you get is to look in submission / voting screen [12:26 AM]

johana: I don't think there will be any voting as long as the total number of submissions is below 8000, which we are not close to. [12:26 AM]

Elves: thanks Johan! that is helpful to know [12:27 AM]

Astromon: well there is voting it just isnt needed  with such a low design output [12:27 AM]

Elves: i wonder if we could at some point get a #feature to know total # designs submitted across all sublabs so far then [12:27 AM]

Astromon: yeah it says on the main lab page [12:28 AM]

Astromon: ill show [12:28 AM]

Elves: thanks! aha, designs submitted [12:28 AM]

Elves: it would be cool if that were a thermometer style visual meter that fills up lol [12:29 AM]

LFP6: EteRNA needs more feedback visuals IMo [12:29 AM]

LFP6: In general [12:29 AM]

Astromon: http://prntscr.com/9nogjc [12:29 AM]

LFP6: I'm not sure if you've seen my crazy long forum post Elves? [12:29 AM]

Astromon: i love the forum emails [12:30 AM]

Astromon: they are interesting to read [12:30 AM]

LFP6: Forum emails? [12:30 AM]

Astromon: im trying to understand what eli and all is even talking about but im leRNING [12:30 AM]

LFP6: hehe, yeah [12:31 AM]

Astromon: yeaH i get forum emails [12:31 AM]

machinelves: thanks Astro! [12:31 AM]

machinelves: @LFP6 which one?  [12:32 AM]

machinelves: ( i just lost connection lol ) [12:32 AM]

LFP6: On feed page redesign suggestions [12:32 AM]

Elves: [ rainbow activate! ] [12:32 AM]

LFP6: https://getsatisfaction.com/eternagame/topics/-official-dev-chat-followup-feed-page-redesign-suggestions?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all&topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Breply_id%5D=16479021#reply_16479021 [12:32 AM]

Astromon: :d your welcome  and thanks to you machine [12:32 AM]

Astromon: im going to get me a new color haha [12:33 AM]

Elves: :D [12:33 AM]

LFP6: And as an FYI, I did post a "community update" topic in the forum with the latest goings on looking for help, as it will show in the side-banner thing: https://getsatisfaction.com/eternagame/topics/recent-eterna-initiatives-looking-for-help [12:33 AM]

Elves: thanks LFP6, no i've been afk for the holidays so i'll take a look at this [12:34 AM]

Elves: wow LFp6 big high five, what a fantastic summary of ways to help!! [12:35 AM]

Elves: *LFP6 [12:35 AM]

LFP6: If you take a look at my comment in the Feed page, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Yes, I know I need to be way more concise :P [12:35 AM]

LFP6: *in the feed page -> in the topic on feed page updates [12:36 AM]

Elves: i agree the feed page and management of content in general is a bit unwieldy. it is currently challenging to browse through blog posts and the news feed simply in those pages themselves, and managing user news feed is something i dont even try to do [12:37 AM]

Astromon: lol [12:37 AM]

LFP6: I'm primarily looking for a way to encourage more activity [12:37 AM]

LFP6: Interest in what EteRNA has to offer [12:38 AM]

Elves: inbox style system would be nice, though i don't know what plugins we have for that or what would be required dev side [12:38 AM]

LFP6: And a quick way of seeing what's going on [12:38 AM]

Elves: the home page being a bird's eye dashboard is fantastic, we could do a lot more with utilising that as info space not just clickthru [12:38 AM]

LFP6: Plugins would just be things like theming, or say, viewing some design data specially inside the message or something [12:38 AM]

Astromon: i think i heard someone say to date the feeds would be helpful [12:39 AM]

Elves: plugins are pretty complex these days, i mean if there is some modular immediately usable solution to plug in and give us inbox functionality, i don't know.  [12:39 AM]

Elves: it's worth asking though [12:40 AM]

LFP6: That;s not quite what I meant by plugins [12:40 AM]

Elves: i know ;) [12:41 AM]

LFP6: Oh, ok [12:41 AM]

Astromon: plug it in air fresheners [12:41 AM]

LFP6: You're talking Drupal [12:41 AM]

Elves: ya [12:41 AM]

LFP6: I was thinking of coding up a "viewer" in EteRNAScript [12:41 AM]

LFP6: I'm wondering if the devs would be open to taking this kind of code, then adding in what's necessariy that users cant do ie deleting [12:41 AM]

Elves: and WP etc have heavy functionality but i don't think we use those tools, so devs will have to say what they have access to [12:42 AM]

LFP6: This is built on Drupal [12:42 AM]

Elves: ok then there may be something they can plug in faster than hard coding [12:42 AM]

LFP6: May or may not fit within the UX would be the issue there [12:42 AM]

Elves: Astro thanks i didn't realize posts had no dates in right hand side links [12:44 AM]

Astromon: i was working an older sublab and noticed it didnt have the ms2 stamper in the tools because it was older [12:44 AM]

Astromon: maybe the sublab need to be reran  [12:44 AM]

LFP6: Just realized it most likely wouldn't work with the existing API, and I don't think we'd want to loose all of our messages [12:44 AM]

Astromon: with the new added stamper [12:44 AM]

Astromon: it may make many more dif designs thios way [12:45 AM]

Elves: hmm. did it use the ms2 protein in the design? [12:45 AM]

Astromon: yeah [12:45 AM]

Elves: you could PM the person running the lab to give them a heads up, thanks for noticing! [12:45 AM]

Astromon: http://nando.eternadev.org/game/puzzle/3390946/ [12:46 AM]

Elves: astro you're on a dev server tho? [12:46 AM]

Astromon: i rem i couldnt get a design for this lab I think the tool would have changed that [12:46 AM]

Astromon: yeaH [12:46 AM]

Astromon: im not signed in though it wont let me :) [12:47 AM]

Elves: LFP6 I think opening the question to devs of what they feel are most efficient options for making inbox style or other kind of management of feed would be good, since they will be familiar with what will be most compatible and cause least disruption in service [12:47 AM]

Elves: astro that sounds like a question for Nando! [12:50 AM]

Astromon: ok [12:50 AM]

Astromon: yeah maybe he can rerun the lab with the new tool :) [12:51 AM]

Elves: LFP6 you've covered a lot of good suggestions in what to host on the main page, I think at this point it is a matter of making a mockup to get the layout visualized so we can be sure it is designed in a way that is no too crowded [12:52 AM]

johana: Have to go. See you next week! [12:52 AM]

Astromon: seeya johan thanks for the labs [12:52 AM]

Elves: thanks for coming Johan! see you next time :) [12:52 AM]

Astromon: I was going to ask why the hold up on lab pionts [12:54 AM]

Elves: Astro please feel free to make a forum post about the request for color change sublab buttons, and detail out what colors for what states etc. for example maybe green means completed, and it starts out red or orange or something? with yellow in between?  [12:55 AM]

Astromon: i think it will be a great way to encourage more partisiapation [12:55 AM]

Astromon: yes it should start out as the darkside (red) and turn green when complteted haha [12:56 AM]

Astromon: it was more of Malcolms idea not sure what colors he was wanting  [12:56 AM]

Elves: yes, i think labs being analyzed will be done on its own timeline but as for points I don't know what the hold up is, I would assume there are other higher priority issues at the moment. But it helps to point out that getting lab points distributed ASAP will incentive people better [12:57 AM]

Astromon: i might do a forum about the need for lab pionts< [12:57 AM]

Elves: awesome [12:57 AM]

Astromon: oH okaY [12:57 AM]

hoglahoo: "Malcolm: Also when we are doing the labs it would be nice when one finishes a sub lab, that the green backgroud white tick should be used, to remind us that we have completed them." [12:58 AM]

Elves: thank you hoglahoo! and hullo! [12:58 AM]

Astromon: another idea i had was to post the name of the monthley design top 5 winners on the main paige perhaps [12:58 AM]

Astromon: or in a submenue for space saving [12:59 AM]

Elves: yes hosting a leaderboard of any kind on main page will help with engagement, particularly for labs [12:59 AM]

Astromon: thx and hi Hogla [12:59 AM]

hoglahoo: np, hi :) [12:59 AM]

hoglahoo: hi machinelves [12:59 AM]

Elves: many thanks to all of you for participating! i'll get the transcripts posted, will take me ~5-15 minutes [1:00 PM]

Elves: and see you next time :D [1:00 PM]

Personal tools
Main page
Introduction to the Game